Captain Sutton House, C. 1687
The (Pengry-Sutton) house was a special project because it allowed us to combine our many talents for one home, thus insuring the right outcome. This house is an early, rare "two over two" dating to the seventeenth century; thankfully a couple—recognizing an at-risk building—purchased and allowed us to restore it properly, to stand for another three hundred years.
This First Period treasure has been disassembled and re-built saving 95% of the
original structure. A major restoration project complete with additions, kitchen
cabinetry, and custom woodwork throughout.
The condition of the house did not allow the new owners to live in it, as it was, and the determination was made to move the house toward Water Street.
The scope of work included much careful preparation for the preservation work. The disassembly required careful documentation of details for the rebuilding. Planning was done in an exacting method with great attention to detail in anticipation of re-installing the various components correctly.
Carefully documented and saved were:
The original timber frame was completely disassembled, repaired, moved and rebuilt,
Exterior details include the classic Doric entry and traditional window casings. A new addition in the rear adds living space while the the oldest part of the house retains its antique charm. The ell holds a new porch overlooking the river and features a custom kitchen.